1. I prep my hair with heat protectant and a serum. Tresemme Heat Tamer Protective Spray all over and Chi Silk Infusion at the ends.
2. I put my hair half up and start with the bottom half.
Very important! Make sure hair is wrapped around the curling iron and not the clamp! If you start with wrapping the hair over the clamp, you'll get a dent in your hair.
3. I like to curl outward. For the right side, with the clamp facing away from me, I clamp on the end of the section of hair and wrap clockwise towards my head. I have my iron set at medium and hold it for about 15 seconds. If I want tighter curls, I hold it for longer.
4. For the left side, I start with the clamp facing towards me, and turn counterclockwise. I also curl my hair starting from the middle of the strand if I want the curl higher up on my head (as above).
5. I twist the curl afterwards with my finger. Other times, I use curlers to hold the curl in place. Continue curling for the rest of the head. I tend to go from back to front.
6. C'est finis. I hate the feel of product in my hair so I don't use hairspray. On rare occasion, I use hair wax to hold the curls in place. Sometimes I flip my head and run my fingers through my hair for some body. The whole process took me about 15 minutes or so.
If this tutorial was entirely useless, you should watch PurseBuzz's video below. This is the youtube tutorial I watched years ago to teach myself.